Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A new quarter, a new cut, the same results

As I begin my 4th quarter at the Creative Circus as a copywriter, I coming to the realization that I may not be making the connections I need to. With my fellow classmates, I mean. I am not a partier and it seems like the only real bonding happens over a couple of drinks. It's the advertising version of business or medical golf outings. Alliances are formed and arrangements are made over a pint.

It was noticeable late last quarter, but even more so in my first class yesterday. I was "the fat kid". As soon as the professor gave the go ahead to form teams, it was an instant chemical boil around me and all the hidden alliances became visible. And it's often that I draw the short straw with an odd count of students.

I will say that I am glad to draw Andrew Harper however. His glowing reputation proceeds him and I am not afraid to say that I am a bit intimated. Word is that he is a quite capable writer and director.

I hope that I am building a stronger reputation for myself by being at the school almost all day, taking books out from Heddy and committing to cranking out the work, no matter the hours. I hope I'm making the right connections at least.

No comments: