Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We are a kick ass crew

So one year of ad school has past. 4 quarters at the circus and my brain is about to explode from all the information that has been crammed into it. Quarter 1 was all about getting into the flow of the work load and thinking about the what all goes into making an ad. Quarter 2 was the laying of the ground work for the future, working in teams. Quarter 3 was about pushing the boundaries (at least for me), going beyond the safe zone. To stop mimicking what I had seen and start to make something new. Quarter 4 was about the simplification of ideas, introducing products and simple benefits.

Panel went as expected. Some of the pieces I took in were a joke and others were filler. I know I might get knocked for that, but I wanted to show them that I worked hard, even though I might have spread myself thin.

The website I designed was a bust. Mainly because due to the lack of framing and clear navigation. That and it really didn't sell a product, one of the basic rules of advertising.

TV spot was a stretch. It didn't demonstrate how Rockports were "Tough shoes for Tough times".

Artex ELT was a toss up. They liked the basic concept behind the tag "Change how the story ends" but the body copy read different.

Nutella was a panel bust, but I knew it was wrong. We were coming at it from the angle that we were introducing what the product was to the people and not the experience of it, per our professor's suggestion. Should of gone with the experience. What I envisioned was a Ferrer Roche "Gods" ad. The experience of food is greater than the benefit of food.

Comodynes tanning was beautifully art directed, but they didn't love the line. The line wasn't perfect, I agree.

Sumo had one win out of three. They didn't like the concept of preparation, but they wanted to see how life would change when it was already in your possession.

Puma was the hit of the evening. No surprise. The line was rockin' and so was the art direction.

I think that covers the main points. Already, I can tell that my writing has gone on break. My mind isn't forming sentences clearly and I feel that anyone who reads this will be stumbling over my words, as they hardly flow.

Note to future ad students: Never, I repeat, never take a professor's concept. Especially one that has been in the field for 10+ years. It's our job to come with something new and exciting. They are there to guide us. Not direct us. Listen to what they have to say about copy and art direction. Listen to their suggestions and weigh them. Eventually you'll get to the point where you know in your heart, gut, or head what makes a good ad and what should be burned.

I am kind of hard on myself for this quarter. I had two weeks prior to the last week where I was just completely out of the loop and didn't really write. I should always write. Write and refine. I came down to the last week and spent hours firing off lines to my ADs and they came out crap because I didn't take the time to refine them.

There is a part of me that claims that it was a social experiment. I had spent prior quarters working, refining endlessly and felt that I was talking in a snooty, over educated tone. This quarter I tried not to overthink and just write.I guess that's all well and good, as long as that "under"thinking also has time to be refined. Even the common man has an appreciation for clear communication.

After panel, a group of us copywriters hit Taco Mac and reviewed the past quarter and the past year. Topics ranged from haircuts to favorite memories to the random gossip of the school. And even though I don't drink, it was nice to get out with a small group. So here's to you Adam (Action) J, Adam (AE) Elijah, Erin C, and Ash C. It was walking through the parking garage, en mass and then breaking off, that I realized that we're a kick ass crew.

No comments: