Sunday, January 25, 2009

Become your own editor

That's something I haven't really learned until this quarter, but I think everyone who wants to be taken seriously as a writer should know. I definitely would've had more kick ass lines if I had taken the time to go back, look over them, sharpen them and feed them into the shredder of critique.

For a more fluid writing process, I write whatever I want first, just to get going. It's been said that the most daunting thing is facing a blank piece of paper and having to fill it with thoughts and ideas. After that, you start saying whatever you want about the product, how it makes you feel. Then you walk away, do something else for a period of time and come back to see if anything is salvageable or makes sense.

I will admit the method prescribed is not my own, but rather gathered from various books and professors.

No comments: