Thursday, January 8, 2009

Don't over think it

"Don't over think it" has been the motto that has been drilled into my head and I freely admit that I have this problem. But you know what happens when people tell you not to think something? The harder you try, the more you think about it.

The first week of my 6th quarter has been going swimmingly on the surface, but in the depths is fear and dread. I know that I need a lot of work. No, rephrase that. A ginormous amount of work. My problems are that I lack a unified voice in many of my pieces, I haven't taken a more active part in the art direction of said pieces, and I don't have any long copy ads. I'm fearful that many of the ads I've worked on will be dumped by my initial partner and that I'll have to search for a new one. Granted, that might not be all bad, but I need to know that now before I come to the end of my education here and have to cobble together pieces less than sub-par.

Considering the market, knowing the quality of my work, can you blame me? I need to stop measuring my work compared to those around me. Yes, there are other talented people, but there is enough success to go around.

No comments: