Thursday, January 8, 2009

Class of September 09: Backbiters?

I've come across several people who aren't entirely enthralled with my class. We've been described as arrogant, self serving and cliquish. Do I think it's true? To some extent. I think most of us, myself included, are worried about their own personal careers. Probably so much so that we've built walls against certain relationships. We don't want to share our ideas at the risk of them being stolen or trampled on. We don't want to expose ourselves and get nothing in return. I think it's fear poorly hidden behind tenacity that makes us look cocky.

I love being at the Circus, don't get me wrong. But some days it feels like high school with just older people. I then figure maybe our professional environments might be similar and the only thing to do in both instances is to rise above and expect better out of ourselves individually.

We're all in this alone.

No comments: