Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm done making ads

Or at least in the way that I've come to know/accept them as a consumer. What really struck me lately is that alot of the work that we do, or at least has been posted on the walls of our school, feel as if they're all the same executions, just with different content.

I admit that I was stuck in a rut these past 5 quarters. I was approaching advertising as a math problem, as something has only one solution. I was stuck in the "3 print pieces" land for a long time and really felt restricted by it, by my vocation. Yes, I am a copywriter, but writing without passion makes everything sound like Ben Stein in my head. I wasn't having fun. Balser and Hansen called me out on it and they were right. So to rectify this, I've just slowed down a little and I'm taking more time in the concepting process then just simply tossing together ideas and lines and seeing what shi* sticks. I feel as if I'm getting better ideas, not necessarily more ideas.

Point is, don't just stick to a format. Print pieces don't just have to be singles or spreads. Ambient is more than just bus shelters. If you have an idea that doesn't fit in a predefined category nicely, execute it how you envision it. Then you have something truly innovative.

No comments: